The course teaches fundamental concepts behind the design,
implementation and application of database systems. In detail, it will
review entity-relationship database models and give extensive coverage
on the relational model including relational algebra and calculi,
relational database theory, concepts in schema design and commercial
database languages. At the conclusion of the course, the successful student
will be able to:
1. understand and appreciate the theoretical foundation of database systems
2. write SQL queries of moderate complexity
3. create a web front end to a database
4. use sound design principles when designing a
5. understand through hands-on experience the
management techniques used by database systems.
Detailed Syllabus here.